Friday, April 13, 2012

Parental Support

Today, while I was at the gym pumping iron and dripping sweat (or something like that) I noticed something really awesome. As I looked around the room I saw many different kinds of people: "Meat Heads" over on the free weights grunting and eyeing the "pretties" that look way too cute to be there. There were people who knew what they were doing, some who looked clueless, others working out with trainers, and more in the classes. How cool that all of those people are there to feel good and get healthy.

None of these people are out of the norm. Those same people are always there. But, then, I noticed something that isn't quite so frequent. I saw a mom walk in with her daughter and head to the treadmills. Later, I saw a mom and daughter walk into the cardio class together. I saw a dad and son, lifting weights on the machines, and another mom and daughter lunging and running across the gym.

It was kind of an emotional experience for me. I hope that those kids know how lucky they are to have the support of their parents. Most of the kids were overweight and looked like they hadn't frequented the gym lately. I felt for them. Been there, done that. But, at least they decided to go today.

I, too, have incredibly supportive parents. Parents who have been awesome examples to me of what it means to be active and healthy. They are not perfect in their health, but I think that's what makes them able to "walk-in-my-shoes".


My sweet mom has been a "gym rat" since I can remember. When we were little she would get up early early before we woke up for school and head to the gym. She runs, plays tennis, lifts weights, and does the stair climber like no one I've ever seen.

She has always tried to have healthy eating habits as well. She eats whole grains, and veggies, and hasn't had chocolate for 12 years!!! Can you believe that???

What an example she is to me. And a support. She goes to the gym with me, running with me, and plays tennis with me. Last year, we ran our half marathon together. There is no one else in the world I would have rather crossed the finish line with. (Although, she crossed WAY before me!)

My dad. I love him. I feel like we have more "alike" habits than my mom and me. But, as long as I can remember, he has been a hard worker. He is always doing manual labor, being active outdoors, golfing, running, and playing sports with the boys. He goes to the gym, too.

He has always been supportive of his girls being healthy, offering new wardrobes for met goals, and always forking over cash for new gear and equipment, lessons or gym memberships. Literally couldn't have done it without him.

I hope as T grows up, and our future kids, that they will look to me as an example of being active and healthy like I have done my parents. I don't think that this is something that can be done on your own. I feel like you need support, and love, and encouragement. I'm so lucky to have so many people around me that do this every single day.

P.S. Didn't end up going to ice cream last night. Had a Raspberry Jello instead. 2 points!!

No comments:

Post a Comment